Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The search for the omega star...

has ended after 13 months!

Approximately one year ago I discovered an origami omega star sitting on the top of the computer in my new office. I asked my colleges who had done it, but they told the star had been there for months now and nobody knew anymore who had folded it to begin with. As I was in the visitors room (reserved for visiting scientists or students staying less than 6 months), they told me that everything on the desk now belonged to me and that I could take the star home if I wanted to. I (as a shy intern) didn't dare to take it with me at the beginning. Instead I looked at it in detail when I was not working trying to figure out how it was folded. Of course, I looked all over the internet for the diagram and although I managed to find some pictures of the finished star, I wasn't able to find out neither the diagram nor the author.

When the internship ended I took the star home and left another unit origami piece there in return. In order to investigate how the units were put together I began to unfold it. However, my brilliant idea only resulted in the damaging of the units.

With the time my obsession with the star wore off. But yesterday, when looking for other origami diagrams, I found a video with the folding instructions for the so called "omega star", MY star.
The video was linked to a nice origami blog, where I even found the diagram!

It turns out that neither the unit folding, not the putting the units together is difficult at all. The only problem is the last step when the star shape is formed and where very careful folding is required. I've made two of these stars today...with far from perfect results. But like everything in this life, it is a matter of practice and soon I'll manage to fold one perfectly.

In the picture are the three stars. The one in the middle is the original one, which I even managed to repair.

3 comments:

Roberto Colombo said...

Hi!
I'm the owner of the blog Origaming! Your story is very interesting, and I am very happy to help you in the search for your star!
Can I do a translation of this story to post on my blog?
Greetings.

PGA said...

Of course you can!

Roberto Colombo said...

Thank's, I'll do it!
Bye!